All the Greek flavors come together in this slow cooker chicken gyro bowl served with quinoa and all the fixings. It’s naturally gluten free too.
Goof grief 2021 is certainly making it difficult for anyone trying to come up for air after all the emotional eating in 2020. Obviously, we couldn’t actually expect January 1, 2021 to be opposite day, but I certainly didn’t think it could get any worse.
That being said, no judgement if you continue to dive head first into your comfort foods. While I obviously want myself and those around me to be healthy, sometimes health is more than what you see on the outside. Mental health is just as, if not more, important.
But just in case one of your comfort foods is Greek (I know it’s one of mine), here’s a nice big gyro bowl to cozy up with.
The chicken is cooked in the slow cooker, making this a great weeknight dinner. From there just shred and serve on top of a bed of quinoa and lettuce, garnished with cucumber, tomatoes, olives, feta, pita, and homemade tzatziki sauce. Or leave out the pita for a gluten free option.
Welcome to our #NationalSlowCookerMonth Celebration!
This week we are celebrating all things slow cooker! We have delicious recipes from across the country to fill your meal plans with delicious slow cooker recipes!
- Slow Cooker Saucy Pork Chops from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Simple Slow Cooker Breakfast Pizza from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Balck Bean Soupfrom Magical Ingredients
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Thighs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Spicy Cheese Dip from Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Chicken Gyro Bowl from The Spiffy Cookie
- Easy and Delicious Beef Ragu from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup from Our Crafty Mom
Five years ago: Slow Cooker Spicy Smoked Sausage Chili
Seven years ago: Greek Yogurt Gnocchi with Spicy Pesto
Nine years ago: Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pizza
Ten years ago: Black Cherry Vanilla Almond Smoothie
- 1.25 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 heaping Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Salt, pepper, and lemon pepper, to taste
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced (about 1cup)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh (or 1 tsp dried) minced dill
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cup salad greens
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 large cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 2 pocketless pita breads, quartered (optional, not gluten free)
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken breasts inside.
- In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients together pour over chicken. Add more water if necessary to just cover the chicken. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours.
- In a small bowl, stir together the tzatziki sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When the chicken is done, drain, and shred or thinly slice chicken.
- Divide chicken and remaining assembly ingredients evenly between four bowls. Top with tzatziki sauce and serve immediately.
Source: Adapted from my Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see!
Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIE