Enjoy two great sides dishes in one: jalapeno poppers and potato salad aka Jalapeno Popper Potato Salad. Who’s the side dish now??
You know I love a good mashup. There is just too much good food in the world to have time to try it all, so why not combine them? My latest creation is the combination of potato salad and jalapeno poppers for the perfect BBQ side dish.
Not into all the heat? You can obviously reduce the amount of jalapeno you add. Or maybe you think that 3 is not enough, be my guest and add more. I certainly am heavy handed on any recipe that calls for garlic so I understand that some things are to taste. But if you enjoy jalapeno poppers, I am certain this potato salad (or the pasta salad version) is for you.
Today should have been the actual day we boarded our flights to Memphis for BBQ Fest. I know we all have cancelled plans or, more likely, actual life problems as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, so I’m not looking for sympathy but it was very serendipitous that this #BBQweek event is happening this week and I am grateful for it.
Now all I need is drinko (think plinko but with drinks at the bottom), some old school rap (Biz Markie was performed one year), and a BBQ cheese plate and I’m good to go. Looking for other ideas for your backyard BBQ? Scroll through the list below.
Wednesday #BBQWeek Recipes
- DIY Hot Dog Onion Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Italian Sausages with Peppers and Onions by Blogghetti
- Jalapeno Popper Potato Salad by The Spiffy Cookie
- Poppy Seed Slaw by Our Good Life
- Smoked Ribs with KC Style Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Southwest Pasta Salad with Lime Vinaigrette by Making Miracles
- Southwestern Deviled Eggs by The Freshman Cook
- Sugar Cone Chocolate Chip Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Berry Spinach Pasta Salad by Sweet Beginnings
- Tortellini Pesto Salad by Our Crafty Mom
- Tri Color Potato Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
One year ago: Beet Potato Salad
Four years ago: Blueberry Coconut Mojitos
Five years ago: Sourdough Demi Baguettes
Six years ago: Strawberry-Rhubarb Granola Crumble
Seven years ago: Grizz-Pops
Nine years ago: Pomegranate-Goat Cheese Ball
- 1 lb. medium red potatoes (about 5-6)
- 8 oz. plain Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 jalapenos, diced (seeds removed for less heat if desired)
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large pot, place the whole potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until toothpick will easily go through the potatoes, about 10-20 minutes depending on size. Drain and allow to cool until able to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl cream together the yogurt (or mayo) and cream cheese. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Peel the cooled potatoes (or leave on if you prefer), chop into bite-sized pieces, place in the bowl with other ingredients, and stir gently until thoroughly combined.
- Place in serving bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Source: Adapted from My Dad’s Creamy Potato Salad and my Jalapeno Popper Mac & Cheese.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see!