Sneak in your veggies and make them pretty too with beet noodles. Topped off with a creamy feta sauce, crispy kale, and toasted walnuts.
Remember the delicious sheet pan dinner I shared a couple weeks ago from products I ordered through Green Bean Delivery? Well here is another thing I made with some other items in that box! For this dish, you could definitely make your own beet noodles with a spiralizer, I used Cece’s Veggie Noodle Co. beet spirals and then made a creamy feta sauce using Caprini Creamery goat cheese feta and Hartzler Family Dairy whole milk. The kale was also part of the delivery which turned into kale chips to add texture to this dish.
It’s amazing how substituting grain noodles for vegetable noodles can totally change the nutrition of a meal. This dish with traditional noodles, while carb-ilicious, would definitely require an extra serving of vegetables on the side. But by using the beet noodles it’s a meal all by itself and I’m a fan of sneaking in vegetables without it being overly obvious that I’m eating vegetables. And beets are so pretty! That’s not to say I don’t ever eat pasta but with dishes like this I am more than okay with skipping it.
In other news, I started a separate Instagram account for all my Columbus adventures. I originally thought about doing this almost 2 years ago when I started getting more involved with the local food scene here, but I decided then that I didn’t want to manage a second account and instead came up with the hashtag #SpiffyColumbus to use. But last night I was having second thoughts about that decision, wishing I had done it after all, and after a nudge from some friends I went ahead and created the @SpiffyColumbus account! So @TheSpiffyCookie will remain mostly blog-oriented from now on, which I think my non-Columbus followers will appreciate.
Two years ago: Strawberry Black Peppercorn Pistachio Cookie Bars
Three years ago: DIY Gold Confetti Napkins
Four years ago: Balsamic-Strawberry Bagel Bruschetta
Five years ago: Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza
Six years ago: Gnocchi with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce
Seven years ago: Nutella Mousse
SPIRALIZED BEET NOODLES WITH FETA CREAM SAUCE
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 bunch of lacinato kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
1 (10.7 oz.) container spiralized beets (about 3-4 cups)
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup whole milk
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt, to taste
2 Tbsp toasted walnut pieces
Prepared pesto, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
- Massage 1 tablespoon of the olive oil onto the kale leaf pieces and place on a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Cook for 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the spiralized beets and cook, tossing and turning the noodles frequently, for 5 minutes or until al dente.
- In a small bowl, vigorously whisk together the feta, cream, and garlic until creamy. Seasons with salt to taste.
- To serve, divide the noodles between two plates. Top with whipped feta, kale chips, and toasted walnut pieces. Drizzle with a little pesto and serve.
Source: Adapted from The Wimpy Vegetarian.
Disclosure: While I did receive a discount on my Green Bean Delivery order, I was not required to create a recipe from my experience. All thoughts and opinions remain my own.
Items you may need (affiliate links):