Oven-friend chicken parmesan meets salad, with three doses of parmesan ensure that you will forget you are even eating a salad in the first place.
Today begins my annual (as of last year) trip with my highschool friends! Last year we decided that we would make sure we all got together every year for at least a weekend, because in the past we’ve not always been successful reuniting in our hometown during the holidays. Last year was our collective 30th birthdays so we took a week long trip to San Juan, Washington – not Puerto Rico (although we’ve joked about going there for out 35th or 40th)! It was so much fun that we immediately started to brainstorm our 2016 weekend trip. Long story short, I’m heading back to good ol’ east TN for a long weekend in Gatlinburg! So while I’m romping through the woods, I’ll leave you with this salad.
Every now and then I come up with an idea that makes eating salad seem like you are not actually eating a salad. Because who looks at lettuce and says “get in my belly!”? But when it’s topping with oven-fried chicken parm, a sundried tomato-parmesan dressing, and more parmesan cheese, there’s really nothing that would stop me from shoveling it into my belly. Triple paremsan action for the win.
BTW you will probably have leftover baguette slices and dressing, or as I like to call it, dipping sauce since it was a bit thicker than your usual dressing. Which means you will have to suffer the consequences and dip the slices into the dressing…oh no the horror. I actually almost forgot about the baguette slices entirely until after I had sat down to eat this beautiful masterpiece. Silly me. I quickly snapped the photo seen above before unleashing the destruction.
One year ago: Italian Wedding Soup with Veggie Balls
Two years ago: Grilled Chicken Gyro Salad with Pita Croutons
Three years ago: Funfetti Macarons
Five years ago: Mexican Mac and Cheese
CHICKEN PARMESAN SALAD
1 lb. chicken tenderloins
1-1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
11/2 tsp garlic powder
3 large egg whites
1 Tbsp water
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
3 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh minced parsley
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 hearts of romaine, chopped
10 oz. grape tomatoes, halved
1 baguette, sliced and toasted
Fresh Parmesan, for topping
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet and spray the rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the Panko and oil to a 12-inch skillet, stir frequently and toast the breadcrumbs until they are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer the breadcrumbs to a wide, shallow dish and allow to cool briefly, then add the Parmesan and stir. In a second shallow dish, mix the flour and garlic powder. Finally, add the egg whites and water to a third dish, and beat until frothy.
- Pat the chicken dry then season both sides with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the flour, then the egg whites and the Panko mixture. Press the Panko onto the chicken to completely coat. Transfer to the prepared wire rack.
- Spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray bake for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the dressing. In a food processor or blender, blend together the yogurt, tomatoes, garlic, balsamic, and parsley until smooth. Add Parmesan and pulse until just combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide romaine onto 6 plates and top with tomatoes, chicken, dressing, baguette slices, and Parmesan. Serve immediately.