Enjoy king cake for breakfast with these cinnamon swirled king cake pancakes topped with cinnamon whipped cream and festive sprinkles.
What do you get when you combine International Pancake Day with Mardi Gras? King Cake inspired pancakes!
For the base, I just used my buttermilk pancakes recipe and combined it with Recipe Girl’s Cinnamon Roll Pancakes, using her recipe for the swirl in the middle of the pancakes which is meant to resemble the stuffing of a King Cake.
I thought about doing the traditional glaze used for King Cakes, but was a little iffy about icing on my pancakes. So why not pump it up a bit with some whipped cream instead? Especially after adding cinnamon, it’s hard to resist!
I may or may not have eaten the leftover whipped cream straight up.
Post updated 2/27/22, photo above is the original.
- Prepare pancake batter. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a small zip baggie and set aside.
- In a chilled medium bowl, beat the cream, powdered sugar, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium-heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup batter onto the skillet. Snip the corner of your baggie of filling and squeeze a spiral of the filling onto the top of the pancake. When bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip carefully, and cook until browned on the underside, 1-2 minutes more. Transfer to a baking sheet or platter and keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Top with cinnamon whipped cream, and festive sprinkles.