Chocolate and pumpkin lovers unite when these cookies are around with a chocolate pumpkin base, pumpkin morsels, and toasted pepitas.
I know #PumpkinWeek was last week, but I have some residual pumpkin recipes to share with you that also incorporate chocolate in an effort to help you transition from #PumpkinWeek to #Choctoberfest. I started last week with excellent browned butter salty pumpkin sugar cookies and decided to keep up the trend and post another awesome cookie recipe. These cookies are yet another rendition (I have lost count on what number) adapted from my favorite chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe. With a sound foundation you can be assured that these are the perfect fall option for chocolate chip cookie lovers.
While many pumpkin cookies tend to be cakey, these are anything but, with a chocolate-pumpkin dough that is just as chewy as your favorite chewy chocolate chip cookies. Originally these were going to be double chocolate pumpkin cookies but I decided to use a bag of pumpkin flavored morsels instead, making them double pumpkin! Technically I suppose they are still double chocolate because usually the base for the flavored morsels is white chocolate but I digress. There’s also browned butter in the mix and coarse sea salt on top as well but I left them out of the title because it was getting kind of lengthy already. But when is browned butter or coarse sea salt ever a bad decision?
I’d also like to take a moment to thank Imperial Sugar for their generous shipment of their granulated sugar that arrived at my door to be used for this event. Not only did they cover my sugar needs for this week but I am fairly certain I will be set for all the upcoming baking for the holidays. Get your hands on your own stash of Imperial Sugar along with goodies from our other great sponsors by entering the #Choctoberfest giveaway HERE. And then make sure you check out the recipes from all of the other #Choctoberfest bloggers listed at the end of this post.
Two years ago: Flourless Buckeye Blossom Cookies
Three years ago: Linzer Cookies
Four years ago: Taco Bowls
CHOCOLATE DOUBLE PUMPKIN CHIP COOKIES
Makes approximately 3 dozen
1-1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Imperial Sugar granulated sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
2 cups pumpkin flavored morsels
1 cup toasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
Coarse sea salt, optional
- Place butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted and foamy. Continue to cook until brown specks begin to appear and it has a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and transfer to a glass bowl to cool.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Add both sugars to the cooled butter and beat until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Stir in pumpkin until smooth. Mix in the sifted ingredients in three batches until just blended. Stir in the chocolate and pepitas by hand using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, roll 2 tablespoons of dough into balls and place on a plate or tray. Sprinkle with sea salt, if using. Cover tightly and chill for at least 2 hours, overnight for best results (refrigerate for up to one week).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
- Place cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until edges are set (will look underbaked). Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Source: Adapted from my Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies.
Made something from the blog?
Be sure to share it
on Instagram with the
[…] Chocolate Double Pumpkin Chip Cookies […]
These cookies look delicious and so festive. I love the pepitas in them!
Am I totally in the dark for never seeing these pumpkin morsels before? Neat!
I’ve spotted them all over the place, usually in the holiday baking sections at Target/Walmart/Giant Eagle/Kroger, etc. Hope you get your hands on some.
I love how the pumpkin chips and seeds look in the chocolate cookie!
Those look wonderful! The perfect fall treat for a chocolate lover…like myself :P
Yes on every single part of these cookies, but double yes on the pumpkin seeds and salt. :-)
I’m so glad you agree on the seeds! I was so excited to use them.
Love that these pumpkin cookies are chewy! Can’t wait to try them!
Perfect fall cookies, Erin! They look chewy and so hard to resist!!!
They certainly are that! Thanks Liz :-)
Erin, I absolutely love that you added pepitas to these cookies.
I cannot believe I hadn’t done it sooner, it added such a wonderful texture!
These cookies look heavenly! I’m obsessed with the double pumpkin :)
Sounds like a great recipe. Will have to give a try.