Wake up to these breakfast quesadillas filled with scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, spinach, and goat and mozzarella cheese. Add a little hot sauce to spice things up.
I know it says Breakfast, but I totally ate this for dinner the first time I ever made it in 2011.
Clearly, I lacked the patience to wait until the morning to make these breakfast quesadillas when I first saw the recipe because it just looked so good! After all, I have been saying that I need to cook more Breakfast-y things to share with you all, but no one ever said that it had to be eaten at a Breakfast hour. Besides, breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things.
What’s makes these breakfast quesadillas so special? Not only do they contain eggs, but also breakfast sausage, fresh spinach, goat cheese, and mozzarella cheese. And if you like to spice things up you can also add a drizzle of hot sauce before closing it up. My favorite part was the goat cheese because it added a little tang to jazz up an otherwise basic quesadilla, but not too much to overpower the rest of the ingredients.
While this recipe for breakfast quesadillas makes enough for 2 servings, it is easily doubled for a larger number of hungry bellies. It is also easily adapted for any vegetarians in your life by utilizing veggie/soy breakfast sausage. The hardest part was flipping the quesadilla over (some of the filling fell out but it recovered), so make sure you spread the cheese around to help it all stick together.
Want other Mexican-inspired ideas similar to Breakfast Quesadillas?
Apparently I either forget I already have breakfast burrito recipes, or I love them so much I need more varieties because I have one post just titled Breakfast Burrito, then Chorizo Breakfast Burritos, and finally Better Breakfast Burritos. But if burritos are not what you are looking for, may I suggest Mexican Eggs Benedict with Chipotle Hollandaise or Bacon, Egg and Avocado Tacos.
- 1-1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten with a pinch of salt
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 chicken, pork or soy sausage breakfast patties, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 cup raw baby spinach
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Hot sauce, optional
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Add beaten eggs and cook until no longer runny. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, and melt another 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Place a tortilla flat in the pan then sprinkle with half of the eggs, sausage, spinach, goat cheese, mozzarella cheese, and a drizzle of hot sauce (if desired).
- Place a second tortilla on top and press down. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes, then carefully flip to cook the other side.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Slice into quarters and serve.
Source: Adapted slightly from Eat, Live, Run.
Post updated 4/20/2023, photo above is the original.