These homemade baked falafel are as easy as can be to make and full of flavor. Serve them with your favorite hummus or in a warm pita with all the toppings.
This content contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Remember how I said I don’t attempt to make food items that are served at restaurants which I adore? This post might turn me into a liar. Because I make falafel at home instead of going to Casa Grill like a good girl. But these are baked, not fried, so they are different enough, right?
I have seen so many falafel recipes floating around I had to try it for myself. But it was difficult deciding which to make. I ended up picking two – one for the ingredients, the other for the directions. Paired together they resulted in falafel with wonderful color and texture. And I never knew making my own falafel could be so easy!
This recipe may have 14 ingredients, but these falafel honestly couldn’t be easier to make, especially if you have the right tools.
Tools you may need:
- Cookie sheet
- Silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Food processor
- Medium cookie scoop or spoon
- Rubber spatula
If you don’t have a food processor you can definitely use a blender instead. If you don’t have that either? Time to break out the knives and a big butter board and get to work. It will take longer, but you can definitely mince everything up small enough with some patience. But this is why I own a food processor ;-).
With food processor in hand (or on counter?) all you have to do is blend all the ingredients in a food processor, form into flattened balls, and bake for 20 minutes. Then you’re ready to eat them straight up, dipped in homemade hummus, inside of a warm homemade pita, or get wild and crazy with a falafel pizza.
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley, stems removed
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, set aside.
- Place the herbs in a food processor and blend for about 30 seconds. Add pistachios and pulse until well combined. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse for about a minute, scraping down the sides occasionally.
- Using a spoon or medium cookie scoop, make 18 balls and place on prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden. Serve as an appetizer alone, with hummus, or in a pita with your favorite toppings.
Source: Adapted from Chow Vegan and Green Kitchen Stories.
Did you make this recipe? I want to see!
Tag @THESPIFFYCOOKIE on Instagram and hashtag it #THESPIFFYCOOKIE
Post updated 6/12/21, photo above is the original.