Dreams do come true because I woke up craving these spiced applesauce cookies and made them a reality! Topped with a drizzle of icing because this is real life.
Even though (to my knowledge) I have never had these iced & spiced applesauce cookies before, I woke up this morning craving them. How can one crave something you’ve never tasted before?
Sometimes I am amazed that I wasn’t a round child between that, all the frozen pizza, boxed mac and cheese, twizzlers, and cheetos I used to eat on the regular. Not that I don’t ever eat them not, just much less frequently. But I digress.
Regardless of where this craving came from, I succumbed to them and came up with this recipe for spiced applesauce cookies and I have to say, I nailed the first time and couldn’t ask for more. They are soft but with the slightest crisp on the edges, and the icing on top completes it, MmmMmm! Evidently dreams do come true.
If you would like, you may leave off the icing but I enjoy the added bit of sweetness. Or go the opposite direction and spread it on top instead of drizzle.
- 2-1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves; set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or medium bowl), cream together the shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and beat until creamy. Add applesauce and milk, beating until incorporated. Mix in dry ingredients until just combined
- Drop round tablespoons 2 inches apart on cookie sheet; flatten slightly. Bake for 15 minutes and cool on rack.
- While cookies cool, make the glaze: In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, milk, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Add milk or more powdered sugar if needed to achieve desired drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies.
Source: The Spiffy Cookie original
Post updated 8/22/2023, photo above is the original.