Don’t think you can make doughnuts at home? Think again! Thanks to Wilton’s doughnut pans you can have fresh baked doughnuts in a matter of minutes. If that doesn’t sound easy enough, this recipe is only have 4 ingredients. You heard me – FOUR. And no I am not pulling an April Fool’s Day joke on you. I guess if you want to be picky, there are more ingredients when you take into account the chocolate glaze, or powdered sugar coating. But the doughnuts themselves? Still just four.
Since Funfetti is my absolute favorite type of boxed cake mix (so much so that it will one day be my wedding cake) I wanted to incorporate it into a doughnut. They turned out to be like doughnut-shaped cupcakes, but a bit denser. But they are in the shape of a doughnut, so that means they qualify for Breakfast and not just dessert, right? Right!? Don’t judge me…
Powdered Sugar variety
2-3/4 cup Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the cake mix. Add buttermilk, eggs and butter. Beat until just combined. Pipe the dough into each cup approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until the top of the doughnuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan for 4-5 minutes before removing. Finish doughnuts with chocolate glaze, or powdered sugar.
- Best served fresh.
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp hot water
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup, stirring frequently until completely melted. Stir in water until the glaze is thick and smooth. Add another teaspoon if the glaze is too thick.
- Immediately dip the doughnuts by placing on side down and twirling slightly while removing. Top with sprinkles.
2/3 cup powdered sugar
- Put sugar in a large plastic resealable bag. Add one doughnuts, close the bag, and shake until coated. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
We made these a few months ago and they were really good. Today I made them with devil’s food cake mix and they were just as good!! The glaze is great too.
These look so fun! It’s impossible to say no to funfetti