Step up you dip game with this BBQ chicken dip. It’s just like Buffalo chicken dip but with all the flavors you love from BBQ instead.
The Super Bowl is next weekend and I am here to make sure you have the right dip whether you are cheering on your favorite team, enjoying the commercials, or just watching the Coldplay halftime show. (I’ve saw them live in the early 2000s and they were AWESOME btw.) Buffalo chicken dip tends to be a very popular dip to have at such events, especially where I grew up in upstate NY (Buffalo, NY is the birthplace of Buffalo wings after all and it was only 1 hour away). But after my 7 year stint in BBQ heaven known as Memphis, TN it’s time to change things up a bit.
The nail in the coffin for this decision was the discovery of Pirate Jonny’s Garlic Island BBQ sauce. As a garlic lover I couldn’t not buy it and create something magical. Step aside Buffalo, I made a BBQ chicken dip! The chicken gets an extra kick by being rubbed with Pirate Jonny’s Sweet Island BBQ seasoning before being baked to juicy perfection and shredded. After which it was stirred into a creamy mixture of cream cheese, BBQ sauce, Ranch, and cheddar cheese. Pop in the oven, top with more BBQ and cheese, and heat a little longer for gooey magic. After the first dip dove in I was left thinking, “Buffalo chicken who?” It would also serve very well in a small slow cooker!
Don’t forget to head to your local Giant Eagle tomorrow for Pirate Jonny’s demo from 11 am – 5 pm, including more awesome recipes! While you’re there, there’s also still plenty of time left to give them a shout out on social media with a photo for a chance to win 1 of 3 prize packs! Get more information on how to enter HERE. Additionally, through February 20 you can get 10% off their products at over 150 Giant Eagle stores.
Two years ago: White Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Three years ago: Blackberry Swirl Meyer Lemon Curd Ice Cream
BBQ CHICKEN DIP
Makes approximately 4 cups
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp BBQ rub seasoning (I used Pirate Jonny’s Sweet Island )
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup Ranch dressing (I used a cheesy jalapeno because it’s what I had)
3/4 cups BBQ sauce, divided (I used Pirate Jonny’s Garlic Island)
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Crackers or chips for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly coat and baking pan with nonstick spray. Rub chicken breasts with BBQ rub and place in prepared baking sheet. Cover with foil and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until juices run clear and internal temperature reads 165 degrees F on a instant read thermometer. Remove from oven and change temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Let chicken cool before shredding with 2 forks.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, Ranch, 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Fold in chicken and then spread evenly into a 1-quart baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until mixture is heated through*. Top with the remaining BBQ sauce and cheese and return to oven until melted.
- Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
* You can also place this in a small slow cooker and heat on the LOW or WARM setting.
Items you may need (affiliate links):
Disclosure: While I did actually buy my own bottle of Pirate Jonny’s Garlic Island BBQ sauce, they also provided me with free product and compensated me for this post. All thoughts and opinions remain my own.