Change the way you think about blondies with this citrus-fruity spin utilizing Meyer lemons topped off with fresh strawberry glaze. Great for the winter blues or a summer treat!
Winter may have just started to rear its head but after a long weekend in LA I am craving all the food that comes with warmer weather including citrus and berries. In order to satisfy this craving, I am celebrating National Blondie Day with a Meyer lemon version topped with a fresh strawberry glaze. Meyer lemons actually happen to be seasonally appropriate and I just bought two bags at the grocery store because they were BOGO (prepare yourselves for more Meyer lemon in the future). As you can tell from the picture below, I was a bit impatient and couldn’t wait for the glaze to completely set and instead dug right into the gooey-ness. Who else wants to join me in the denial of winter?
Two years ago: Skillet Lasagna
Three years ago: Chili-Lime Roasted Butternut Salad
STRAWBERRY GLAZED MEYER LEMON BLONDIES
Makes 16 bars
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cups (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 egg, room temperature
1 Meyer lemon, zested and 1/2 juiced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup pureed strawberries (about 1/2 cup whole)
1 tsp Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper in the bottom of an 8×8-inch baking pan and grease the sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat melted butter and sugars together until creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Mix in eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add flour mixture until combined.
- Spread dough out evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl beat the butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, strawberries, butter, lemon juice, and salt and continue to beat until smooth.
- Spread over the cooled blondies and let set. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Items you may need (affiliate links):