Inspired by the popular German fast food known as currywurst, these beef-sausage sliders are topped with spicy brown mustard, curry tomato sauce, and served on a pretzel bun.
This time last year I was buzzing with World Cup Soccer excitement. Sadly, like the rest of America, I have not paid as much attention to the Women’s World Cup. And I’m a girl. A girl who loves to play and watch soccer no less! Disgraceful. I’d blame it on my lack of cable since apparently Dancing with the Stars is a more important broadcast and booted one if the games off the airways, but I have ways to get around such things… ahem, but anyway! So far I’ve only caught one game but tonight the women’s USA team takes on Germany.
I was actually in Germany, Berlin specifically, 3 years ago and was fortunate enough to experience the excitement that is the Euro Cup. During one of the games broadcast on a jumbotron erected in front of the Bradenburg Gate I got my first taste of currywurst, which is a bratwurst sausage topped with a curry ketchup. In honor of today’s competition I decided to make currywurst sliders, blending the American love of burgers/sliders with German currywurst. These sliders are a mix of beef and sausage patties which are topped with a curry tomato sauce, a squirt of spicy brown mustard, and served on a pretzel bun. Serve with a side of fries and you’re ready to cheer on the U-S-A!
One year ago: Caramelized Onion Dip
Two years ago: Vanilla Bean-Nutmeg Shake with Blackberry Swirl
Four years ago: Nutella Waffles with Raspberry Syrup
3/4 lb. ground beef
3/4 lb. ground pork
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp caraway seed
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
1 Tbsp olive oil
8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
4 Tbsp grainy mustard
8 pretzel slider buns, toasted
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2-1/2 Tbsp curry powder
2 Tbsp paprika
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the ground meats with onion, garlic, and spices until combined. Form into 8 equal patties.
- Preheat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 8-10 minutes. Stir in curry powder and paprika. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, red wine vinegar, sugar, and salt to taste. Increase to high heat, bringing to a boil, then decrease to low heat and simmer. Stir occasionally and continue to simmer for 25 minutes, until thickened.
- While the sauce cooks, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. Place one slice of cheddar onto each patty, then pop the skillet into the oven to melt the cheese, about 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread some grainy mustard on the bottom half of the buns.
- Place patties onto the bottom-bun halves, top with sauce, and finish with the top-bun halves. Serve with a side of fries.
Made something from the blog?
Be sure to share it
on Instagram with the