Sweet, spreadable black garlic is the star of this pizza. The whole wheat thin crust is also topped with fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, cherry tomatoes and baby arugula.
I should be in Memphis today. Weezer is performing at Snowden Grove tonight and a few months ago I swore I would find a way to get there but as time ticked away I realized it was not fiscally responsible to buy tickets for a band I’ve already seen 3 times – even if it’s been over 7 years since I last saw them. Of course that’s not all, there’s also a Dishcrawl event in Memphis today for bacon lovers. To compensate you might find me jamming out to Weezer all day while eating bacon.
While this pizza does not have bacon, it does have prosciutto which is basically fancy bacon. It also has a bunch of other fancy things such as fresh mozzarella, arugula and black garlic. What the heck is black garlic? It is caramelized garlic which is the result of being heated at a low temperature for about 40 days. So yea you can make it yourself if you feel like leaving a hot plate/slow cooker on for 40 days straight or you can just buy some like it did (I found it at Jungle Jim’s in Cincinnati, OH). It has the spreadable consistency of roasted garlic but a sweeter flavor. In other words you’ll want to spread it on everything like butter.
One year ago: Blue Moo Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Two years ago: Peach Greek Yogurt Pie
ARUGULA, BLACK GARLIC & CHERRY TOMATO PIZZA
1 recipe whole wheat thin crust pizza dough, risen
1 head black garlic, peeled
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
4 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
4 slices prosciutto, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Large handful baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with pizza stone on the lowest rack.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl blend together the garlic and olive oil, creating a sauce-paste and adding more olive oil if necessary.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal *. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim.
- Spread garlic mixture evenly over dough and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Top with mozzarella, prosciutto, and cherry tomatoes.
- Slide dough onto the stone* and bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven top with arugula before slicing and serving.
*Can also place dough directly on a pizza pan or cookie sheet.
Source: The Spiffy Cookie original