Spinach artichoke dip just got even better with the addition of goat cheese. This super creamy dip is perfect for any occasion.
This mini road trip of mine has been a lot of fun and I am so glad I thought of doing this on my way to Rochester, NY for my friend’s wedding. The only problem is figuring out how best to divide my time. Before setting out I thought I had it all planned out but of course every stop I make there never seems to be enough time and wish had an entire month instead of just one week. Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego now? Cleveland, OH! I hope to check out the location for their Tabletop board game cafe while I am there. But in the meantime, check out this dip.
Everyone loves a good spinach artichoke dip, especially the creamy sinful ones. I once made a healthier version using Greek yogurt but now it’s time to share it’s more devious counterpart – goat cheese spinach artichoke dip. Although it’s not too terribly unhealthy the cream cheese, goat cheese, mozzarella, and milk were all essential to creating this incredibly creamy dip. I started out by adding only 4 ounces of goat cheese but ended up adding the entire 8 ounce log because I simply love goat cheese. Apparently many other people share this sentiment with me as it was quickly devoured.
P.S. Thank you to my lovely hand-model, Sherrill!
One year ago: Healthier Elote
Two years ago: Banana Peanut Butter Bread Pudding
GOAT CHEESE SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14 oz.) jar artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
1 (6 oz.) package fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups milk
8 oz. goat cheese, room temperature
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1-1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cups finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 1.5-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large skiller over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add artichokes and cook 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Place spinach on top and when it start to wilt, stir in with artichokes until completely wilted. Scrape mixture a into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat melt the butter. Whisk in the flour until smooth and cook for 1 minute or until golden. While whisking, slowing pour in the milk. Bring to a gentle simmer, whisking frequently, and cook until thickened.
- Turn down the heat to low then add the goat cheese and cream cheese. Stir until melted into the sauce. Stir in one cup of the Mozzarella, Parmesan and oregano until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper. Add spinach mixture and stir until distributed.
- Pour dip into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella cheeses and additional oregano, if desired*. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm with tortilla chips, pita chips, or crackers.
* If preparing ahead of time stop here, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.
Source: Adapted from Inspired Taste.