Start up your grills and get ready for some steak. Paired with sweet bell peppers and red skinned potatoes makes for a great meal to be enjoyed on your patio.
My mini-road trip adventure continues to Ann Arbor, MI to visit my friend Stephanie who since graduating with me from UTHSC has started a post doc here at UM. She’s trying to convince me to get a job here and manged to get her boss involved! Moving to enemy territory may not be the first thing on my list (if you don’t know college football rivalries just ignore me), but what she is working on it really cool and I would not turn down a job if they found one for me. We shall see how serious they truly are.
If you haven’t started up your grill yet this season now is the time. Whip up this steak with peppers and potatoes and enjoy it on your patio because it’s finally nice out for spring/summer. While the steak grills, you saute the bell peppers and onions. Although next time I want to wrap up the onion, peppers, and seasonings in a foul packet to be cooked on the grill. I found myself running in and out of the house to check on the steak because I am not a grill-master and was unsure how long the steak needed to cook. Thankfully the oven and grill are not terribly far apart haha.
One year ago: Oven-Fried Avocado Tacos with Cilantro Lime Creme
Two years ago: Farfalle with Zucchini and Ricotta
GRILLED STEAK WITH PEPPERS AND POTATOES
1 lb. small red skinned potatoes, quartered
1-1/2 lb. favorite steak
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 large bell peppers, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced thin (I used a red onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp tomato paste
3 Tbsp fresh minced parsley
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Clean grates.
- Place potatoes in a pot, cover with water, and add salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and rub with olive oil. Cook on the grill until desired doneness, flipping once. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm while it rests.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the peppers, onion, and garlic with a tablespoon of water for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add another tablespoon of water to thin out the tomato paste and cook until veggies are tender but still crisp *.
- Place veggies in a bowl with the potatoes. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Slice the steak into thin strips once it has rested and serve with veggie-potato mix.
* Next time I want to try cooking the veggies on the grill, wrapped in a foil packet.
Source: Adapted slightly from Girl Carnivore.