A brownie and a Twix candy bar fell in love and and gave birth to these aptly names Twix Brownies with a shortbread crust, fudgy brownie, caramel topping and chocolate coating.
They may not be the prettiest brownies I have ever made but they make up for it in the taste department. It’s a Twix-brownie love child! Boxed brownie mix plays dress up with a homemade shortbread crust, caramel topping, and chocolate coating. Impress your friends and family this Memorial weekend with these – they will never know you used a boxed brownie mix.
I do highly recommend serving these at room temperature or slightly warm (or outside at your BBQ) as it is easier to bite through the chocolate topping when it’s not cold. As you can see from the pictures, cutting the brownies cold, even with a sharp knife, resulted in cracks.
One year ago: Peanut Butter Banana Bagels
Three years ago: Baked Blueberry Almond Pancakes
Makes 16 brownies
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 box 8×8-inch brownie mix, plus ingredients on back of box
1/4 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
1 (14 oz.) bag of caramels
2 Tbsp heavy cream
8 oz. (1/3 pkg.) Candiquik chocolate bark
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 or 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper with overhang.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Stir together flour and baking powder; blend into butter mixture. Evenly press into the bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- While the crust bakes, mix together the brownie ingredients as stated on the box, plus 1/4 cup hot fudge ice cream topping. Pour over cooked crust, return to the oven and bake according to package directions. Allow to cool while you prepare the caramel.
- Place caramels and cream in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until caramels are melted smooth and creamy, stirring constantly. Evenly pour onto the cooled brownies and gently spread. Place in the fridge for about 15 minutes to set while you melt the chocolate.
- In a double boiler over medium-low heat, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally until melted and creamy. Pour over cooled caramel layer. Evenly pour and gently spread onto the cooled caramel. Cool in the fridge or freezer, about 20 minutes, or until hardened. Cut into squares and serve (best when at room temperature or microwaved for 8 seconds).