Remember during November when I shared a Thanksgiving dinner for two on Single Serving Sunday? Well I had originally intended to do a Valentine’s dinner for two today, but slacked off and only made dessert. It’s still a dessert for two, making it a perfect dessert for you and a special someone to enjoy together.
These cupcakes were inspired by my strawberry stuffed cupcakes I made awhile back which were a huge hit – white cupcakes with a whole strawberry stuffed inside and topped with fresh strawberry buttercream. But this time around the cupcakes are chocolate, making them chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes! In case that isn’t good enough, they are also topped with chocolate dipped strawberry flavored Peeps.
Two years ago: Cinnamon-Blueberry Bread Pudding
Three years ago: Asiago Bagels (with Chipotle Pepper or Garlic & Chive Cream Cheese)
CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY PEEPS CUPCAKES FOR TWO
Makes 2 cupcakes
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp dark cocoa powder
1/8 tspbaking soda
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
FROSTING & FILLING
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3 whole small strawberries, two hulled and one minced
2 Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Creme Flavored Peeps (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and
salt. Make a small well in the middle of the bowl and add the water, oil and vanilla. Whisk together
- Evenly distribute the batter between two liners. Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In a small bowl, beat the butter until creamy then add
the powdered sugar, salt and pureed strawberry. Continue beating until very light and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar if necessary to reach desired consistency *.
- Using a paring knife, carve out a portion from the top of the cupcake resembling an upside-down cone (sized
to fit the strawberries). Insert strawberries, pointed end down. Pipe or spread frosting on each cupcake. Top with Peeps, if using. Enjoy!
* I didn’t add enough powdered sugar to mine, as you can see it spread a bit after topping with the Peeps.