It is post PhD graduation week, and a short week at that with only 3 days left before I no longer have a “work” to go to. I’ll be whisked away for the holidays and return for just one last month in Memphis before packing up and moving in with family. Hopefully with the new year will come responses to all the jobs I have applied to but have yet to hear from. I am really excited/anxious to see where I end up next!
But on to these bars. After I became addicted to the snickerdoodle blondies that Alex sent me last month, I decided to make my own with eggnog in order to continue my eggnog streak. These bars turned out to be just as magical as the traditional version with some added holiday spirit, making them a great treat to make for your upcoming holiday parties (or a way to use up any leftover eggnog).
Three years ago: Brownie Covered Oreo Pops
EGGNOG SNICKERDOODLE BLONDIES
Makes 16 bars
1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup eggnog
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper and lightly grease, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add egg yolk, eggnog, and vanilla, scraping bowl as needed.
- On low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients until just combined, don’t overmix. Spread down evenly in prepared pan.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, then cut into bars.
Source: Adapted slightly from Brown Eyed Baker.