If you are like me, the winding down of yet another college football season makes me sad. Some of you couldn’t care less but I’m going to tell you why you should – peanut butter and chocolate Saturdays are coming to a close. Regardless of the outcome of the Big Ten Championship game tonight, Ohio State will be playing in a bowl game. Which means that after today there is only one PB+C Saturday left and I know how many of you care about that combination.
These little cupcakes are a bit unorthodox for a Buckeye treat, using white chocolate instead of regular, but sometimes it’s good to change things up. I even made mini cupcakes instead of regular sized ones in order to appease all the people in my life that like to cut every dessert portion I serve in half (Stephanie). Not to mention my obsession with baking things in mini muffin pans recently, such as the wonton cups and mousse cookie cups. These mini white chocolate-peanut butter cupcakes are topped off with a white chocolate buttercream and a dose of spirited sprinkles. I’ll share if you can finish the end of this chant: “O-H!”
What do you think I should make for the last PB+C Saturday of the season?
One year ago: Cranberry Fritters
Three years ago: Berry Medley Smoothie
WHITE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPCAKES
Makes 1 dozen regular or 3 dozen mini
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
3 oz. white chocolate chips
3 Tbsp heavy cream
2-1/4 cups powdered sugar
12 Tbsp (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one regular cupcake pan or 3 mini pans with paper cups, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add peanut butter and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk and flour mixture in two alternating batches and stir until just mixed.
- Fill prepared cups almost to the top. Bake for 20 minutes for regular cupcakes, or 15 for mini cupcakes, or until they spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat the white chocolate and heavy cream in 15 second intervals until almost fully melted. Stir until Once cooled add powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract and beat together. Spread or pipe on top of cooled cupcakes.