A few years ago, my friend Brandi made baklava bars that had a sugar cookie base and was topped with a walnut filling and crushed mini fillo shells. Not only were they much easier to make than traditional baklava, but they were incredibly good. Surprisingly it took me until now to share this with you. However, it should come as no surprise that the recipe shared today is for a peanut butter version.
Instead of walnuts in the filling I used peanuts and added in peanut butter. Since peanut butter is a loyal companion to chocolate, the honey used for the glaze was chocolate honey (which I previously shared in my healthier cookie dough fondue post). In the end you get a classy dessert, with the comforting effect of peanut butter and chocolate. Ohio State may be having a BYE week, but that doesn’t mean I’d miss a chance to post a PB+C recipe!
One year ago: Pork Chops with Pineapple Fried Rice
Two years ago: White Chocolate Coconut Chili Macadamia Nut Cookies
PEANUT BUTTER BAKLAVA BARS
Makes 24 bars
1 (1lb. 1.5 oz.) pouch sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups chopped dry roasted peanuts
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
8 frozen mini fillo shells
1/3 cup Winterpark chocolate honey, plus more for garnish
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, combine cookie crust ingredients until soft dough forms. Press dough evenly into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir peanuts, sugar, butter, peanut butter, cinnamon and salt with a fork until mixture is well mixed and crumbly.
- Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over partially baked base. With hands, crumble frozen fillo shells evenly over nut mixture. Bake 18 to 20 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate honey, butter, and brown sugar uncovered on High for 1 minute or until bubbly. Stir in vanilla.
- Drizzle honey mixture evenly over fillo. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Cut into bars. Before serving, drizzle a little honey over each bar. Store covered at room temperature.
Source: Slightly adapted from Betty Crocker.