Wow, it is October people! I have so much left that I need to do before the end of the year when I “officially” graduate that this whole time flying by thing is even less fun. More importantly is nailing down a job so that I don’t go without an income come the end of the year. Oh the joys of no longer being a student – boo real life!
When I was a writing/studying maniac and wasn’t baking as much, Sarah brought these delicious treats into the lab (not the actual lab of course, just our office). I immediately pulled out my camera and took pictures of them while asking for the recipe. I finally acquired said recipe, so today’s recipe was not made by me, but still felt the need to share it with the world. Just as the name indicates, they are graham cracker bars with a sweet cream filling with pecans and coconut. Yea, they’re pretty stinking amazing. They also don’t require turning on the oven which is always a plus.
One year ago: Peanut Butter Biscoff Blondies
GRAHAM CRACKER BARS
Full box of graham crackers (maybe more depending on pan size), divided
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 small can evaporated milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 cup coconut
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp milk
- Lightly grease a large jelly roll pan. Place one layer of graham crackers on bottom of pan, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add butter, sugar, evaporated milk, and egg. Cook, while stirring, until boiling. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup crushed graham crackers, pecans, and coconut. Stir into custard.
- Spread custard mixture evenly over graham crackers. Top with another layer of graham crackers. Press down slightly.
- While the bars cool, prepare the icing. In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Spread icing over bars.
- Allow to cool then cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Source: Sarah’s mom