Welcome to #IceCreamWeek! Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen of Juanita’s Cocina have teamed up with more than 20 of their blog friends to bring you a week full of ice cream treats, including a special ice cream giveaway! Prepare to have your taste buds tempted with some of the best ice cream treats around! Make sure you enter the giveaway for a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and two fabulous ice cream cookbooks so that you can join in on the ice cream fun!
I have to confess that chocolate ice cream does nothing for me. Just like a solid bar of chocolate, I feel like other things need to be mixed in there. Brownies are about the only solid chocolate thing I enjoy, but even those I prefer the addition of nuts or peanut butter. But this chocolate ice cream is different, because it’s Nutella! Although I did actually mix in some hazelnuts and top it with granola haha. This ice cream is also incredibly creamy, which is perfectly contrasted with the crunchy nuts and granola.
If you’d like to check out today’s #IceCreamWeek recipes, drool over the blogs below:
- Peanut Butter, Chocolate and Banana Ice Cream Banana Splits by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peachy Vanilla Ice Cream by Juanita’s Cocina
- Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Pie by Cook the Story
- Malted Chocolate Ice Cream by Foodness Gracious
- Malted Milkshakes by girlichef
- Ice Cream Social Week: Roasted Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream by Poet in the Pantry
- S’mores Ice Cream by Food Babbles
- Healthy Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Manischewitz Ice Cream Sandwiches by What Jew Wanna Eat
- Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches by 52 Kitchen Adventures
- Nutella Ice Cream with Granola Topping by The Spiffy Cookie
- Chocolate Chip Caramel Swirl Ice Cream by It’s Yummilicous
Make sure you stop by our Pinterest board #IceCreamWeek 2013 to answer today’s question which enters you in our bonus prize draw. Just click the highlighted link and it will take you right there so you can comment on the pin!
One year ago: Peanut Butter Cup Mousse Parfaits
Two years ago: Homemade Pesto
NUTELLA ICE CREAM WITH GRANOLA TOPPING
Makes approximately 1-1/2 quarts
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 cup Nutella
1 cup chopped hazelnuts
2 cups rolls oats
1/4 cup ground flazseed
1/4 cup Nutella
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- For the ice cream: Place egg yolks in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, heavy cream and sugar. Warm until bubbles form around the edges (but not boiling).
- Slowly pour about 1 cup of the milk mixture into the lightly beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly until combined.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches 175 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the Nutella until complete dissolved. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Pour ice cream base into your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. Fold in the hazelnuts, place into a container, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- For the granola: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats and flaxseed. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the Nutella and honey. Microwave for 30-60 seconds, or until melted. Stir in cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into oat mixture and stir until the oats are evenly coated. Evenly spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and stir. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the granola is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Stir in the chopped hazelnuts and sprinkle on top of ice cream. (Enjoy any leftover granola with yogurt!)