When grocery shopping I always bring reusable shopping bags and have never run into a cashier that seemed confused by them. However, half the time I bring them into other stores such as Target, Marshalls, etc. the cashier starts looking for a bar code tag even though the first thing I said to them upon approaching was “Hi, I am using my own bag today”. Reusable bags are common enough these days to not have it be so odd to bring one into a regular department store. Besides, I’m not going to avoid plastic bags at the grocery store just to acquire them elsewhere. I do use them for my small bathroom trash can and really should work on an alternative, but I don’t need very many to meet that call to duty.
Which brings me to a cool thing happening on the west coast (other than my brother, sister-in-law and nephew moving there in a month) – bans on plastic bags! It started in San Francisco in 2007 and has slowly spread to other major cities over the years such as Los Angeles and Sacramento. Chicago, Portland and Dallas look like they might be next. So start busting out those reusable bags if you haven’t already!
Oh and food? Yes you are here for food not my ramblings and I am here to tell you to make these hot dogs. They are regular turkey hot dogs topped with Mexican inspired deliciousness. It involves a salsa made from corn, jalapeno, avocado and some seasonings. Then some chipotle peppers come out to play mixed with Greek yogurt for a perfect cream topping. I even served them with some spicy sweet potato fries, which were also dipped in any leftover cream.
MEXICAN HOT DOGS WITH CORN SALSA AND CHIPOTLE CREAM
1 cup corn kernels
1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
2 Tbsp diced red onion
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp Greek yogurt (I used 2% plain Chobani)
1/2 tsp adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or more to taste
4 turkey dogs
4 hot dog buns
- For the salsa, in a large bowl combine corn, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, sugar and salt. Stir in avocado and set aside.
- For the cream, in a small bowl whisk together Greek yogurt and adobo sauce; set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Add hot dogs to the grill and cook until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- To assemble the hot dogs, add hot dogs into each hot dog bun, top with avocado, corn salsa and a drizzle of chipotle cream.
- Optional: Sprinkle with some grated cotija cheese and serve with spicy sweet potato fries.
Source: Adapted slightly from Damn Delicious.