Just in time for Easter weekend, I present to you this fun and easy cupcake. You all know how much I love stuffing cookies and cupcakes with various truffles and what not, but this time I went with something more natural – a whole strawberry! It is a basic white cupcake that gets a small part of it cored after baking in order to fit the strawberry inside. Then top it off with some fresh strawberry buttercream and you’ve got one heck of a spring-time cupcake.
After celebrating Passover with my brother’s in-laws this past weekend, I don’t have much planned for Easter this weekend. I am working a regular day in the lab today, and am going to a Circa Survive concert tonight. Not exactly festive, but still fun! I will be attending my friend’s annual Easter brunch on Sunday so maybe I can bust out some bunny ears for that .
Two years ago: Eggplant Parmesan
STRAWBERRY STUFFED CUPCAKES
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
2/3 cup buttermilk
FROSTING & FILLING
2 sticks (8 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups (1 lb.) powdered sugar
1/4 cup pureed strawberries (about 1/2 cup whole strawberries)
12 whole strawberries, hulled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until well combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in almond extract. Alternatively beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of lour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until smooth.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, beat the butter until creamy then add the powdered sugar, lemon juice, sea salt and pureed strawberries. Continue beating until very light and fluffy.
- Using a paring knife, carve out a portion from the top of the cupcake resembling an upside-down cone (sized to fit the strawberries). Insert strawberries, pointed end down. Pipe or spread frosting on each cupcake. Enjoy!