Over the holidays, I got to cook for Luke for the very first time. So today I am sharing my first ever baby food recipe. And to add to the list of firsts, it was his first taste of chicken! This little man eats everything from tofu and salmon, to kale and beets so I was pretty sure these baby chicken fingers would not be turned down.
Look at that happy carnivorous face! Even though these were made for tiny hands (to mash up and destroy before eating evidently), Kate and I enjoyed a couple ourselves. Shh! Don’t tell Luke. But the recipe made so many that he will be happily eating these for awhile. It’s like I am still feeding him without actually being in Boston.
Baby chicken fingers with apple – Luke tested and Kate approved! P.S. I will be posting more pictures of this adorable munchkin in a few days.
Two years ago: Homemade Vanilla Extract
BABY CHICKEN FINGERS WITH APPLE
Makes about 4 dozen
16 oz. ground chicken
2 medium carrots
2 medium apples
1 garlic clove
1 small onion
1 egg yolk, beaten
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Pinch crushed, dried thyme
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel and grate the carrot, apple, garlic and onion (made easy with a food processor fitted with a shredding disk).
- Place into a mixing bowl, along with the ground chicken.
- Add the beaten egg yolk, breadcrumbs, thyme and black pepper. Mix well.
- Take small balls of the mixture and roll into 48 little “sausages”. About 2 inches by 1/2 inch.
- Place on a pan without them touching and bake for 10 mins on each side. Allow to cool.
- Serve, or store some in the freezer for future use.
Source: Adapted slightly from Homemade Baby Food Recipes.