Apple pie is awesome. And recently I discovered that pecan pie is fantastic. But what about apple AND pecan pie? I decided to make this ultimate combination for my brother’s birthday pie after making him turkey sloppy joes. Because like me, he would rather fruit than chocolate for dessert.
Am I a great sister or what? Oh and the pie was pretty spectacular. The crunchy bits of pecan were a great addition. Not to mention the pecan crumble topping which then got a big scoop of ice cream plopped on top. I don’t think apple pie could get any better than this.
One year ago: German Pancakes
Two years ago: Chocolate Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
APPLE PECAN PIE
1 refrigerated pie crust
5 medium-sized apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
1 tsp lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup sugar
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1” squares
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the dough and transfer it to a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Trim the excess dough hanging off the sides of the pan. Using your fore-finger and thumb, crimp the sides of the dough.
- Place the pie pan in the refrigerator while you make the filling. Place the sliced apples in a large bowl. Pour the lemon juice and vanilla extract on top and toss to coat the apples. In a small bowl, whisk together the pecans, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Add the pecan mixture to the sliced apples and toss to combine.
- Remove the pie pan from the refrigerator and pour the filling into the crust. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with your hands, combine the flour, pecans, sugar, and cold butter. Mix until the butter is the size of a small pea and the mixture has created small, coarse crumbles. Pour the topping over the entire surface of the filling.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake until the filling begins to bubble and the topping has turned a golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before slicing. Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Source: Adapted slightly from Krissy’s Creations.