Christmas is creeping up fast, and I am sure you have more baked goods running through your kitchen than you know what to do with, other than the obvious – eat it all!! But sometimes you need to whip up something last minute and magic layer bars are a deceptively easy, one pan dessert that can be customized based upon the ingredients you have on hand.
In this recipe for example, I ran out of bread crumbs so I ground up some Biscoff cookies to add to the bottom layer. Definitely did not disappoint my taste buds with that small substitution. I also did not have holiday M&Ms called for in the original recipe, but I did have a box of holiday Oreos patiently waiting for their destiny to be revealed. The only thing you may not have in your pantry that is more difficult to substitute is a can of sweetened condensed milk, but these bars are worth a quick trip to the store.
Enjoy your holiday weekend!
One year ago: Christmas Recipe Roundup
Two years ago: Pizza Tart
CHRISTMAS MAGIC COOKIE BARS
Makes 24 bars
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup Biscoff cookie crumbs (or another 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs)
3/4 cup Holiday or regular chocolate chips, divided
1/4 cup white chocolate chips, divided
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped Holiday or regular Oreos, divided
1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
Holiday sprinkles (optional)
- Unwrap butter and place in 13″ x 9″ pan. Place pan, with butter, in the oven and turn the oven on to 350 degrees. Butter can melt in pan while preheating. Keep an eye on it, checking every few minutes and pulling out of the oven when butter is melted. Please be careful while preparing recipe as pan will be very hot.
- When butter is melted, remove pan from oven and carefully sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs over the melted butter. Press in lightly with fork or back of spoon.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of both the chocolate chips, 1/2 of the Oreos & the nuts over the base layer. Sprinkle coconut on top, followed by remaining chocolate chips & Oreos.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over everything, and top with sprinkles, is using.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Allow bars to cool completely. Slice, give and enjoy!