When I set out to make these cupcakes I had planned to make these s’mores cupcakes, but while searching on Tracey’s Culinary Adventures I wasn’t aware that she had 2 other s’mores cupcake recipes! Don’t even get me started on all the bars, cookies and other s’mores delights she has shared as well. But as a result, I accidentally used a different recipe than originally intended. I didn’t recognize the switch until my plans to cut the recipe in half and only make 12 were ruined by odd values of things (such as 1 egg yolk). Luckily for me (and my friend the-birthday-girl for whom I baked these), the cupcakes were everything I had hoped for and therefore 24 were very much so welcomed.
CHOCOLATE S’MORES CUPCAKES
Makes 24 cupcakes
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 large Hershey’s milk chocolate bar
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups cocoa powder
2-1/2 cups sugar
2-1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
1-1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups warm water
24 large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Mix to ensure all graham cracker crumbs are moistened. Add about a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half of the mixture into the bottom of each paper-lined cup. Pat the mixture down to form a “crust” (a shot glass is an excellent tool for pressing the crust in!). Top each crust with a bit of the chopped chocolate.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk together. In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients (eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and water). Add the combined wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine until smooth.
- Top the graham cracker base and chopped chocolate with the cupcake batter. Fill each tin about three-quarters full. If you have graham cracker base remaining, sprinkle some over the top of each cupcake before they go in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops spring back when touched.
- Top with a marshmallow and broil in the oven until golden brown, watching the entire time to avoid burning (and to make sure no marshmallows roll off). To reheat, warm in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.