Today is most unfortunate because I must return to Memphis after a very eventful weekend. Does anyone want to have dinner ready for me upon my return? I would totally be okay with something simple such as this dish. You heard correct, this long titled meal is actually easy to make.
Oh and the flavors in this dish: lime, avocado, cayenne, cilantro and some creaminess brought to you by Greek yogurt. Amazing-ness. And it’s even gluten-free. Just looking out for all my friends out there ;-).
By the way, Luke pictures from my visit are on their way tomorrow!
BLACKED CHICKEN WITH CILANTRO LIME QUINOA AND AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0% plain)
- Combine all the dry seasonings in a small bowl. Mix them together and then season both sides of each chicken breast.
- Add the teaspoon of olive oil to a medium pan or skillet. Heat the olive oil for a minute over medium/high heat. Add the chicken breasts to the pan. Cook for seven minutes on each side with the lid on.
- Add the chicken broth and quinoa to a medium sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over medium/low heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for10-15 minutes with the lid on, until all the broth has been absorbed.
- After the chicken breasts have cooked all the way through, remove them from the pan and let them rest for seven minutes before slicing them.
- Remove the warm quinoa from the heat. Toss in the lime zest, lime juice, and chopped cilantro. Mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the flesh from an avocado along with two tablespoons of Greek yogurt in a small bowl and mash together until until smooth.
- Serve the sliced chicken breast on top of the quinoa with avocado sauce.
Source: Adapted slightly from Sarcastic Cooking.