Classic buttermilk waffles get a bit of an upgrade with the addition of chopped pecans in the batter.
My apologies for making you wait almost the entire week to find out what sorts of things I ate while spending time with family this past weekend. So here is the summary:
Upon arriving I was presented with fresh oatmeal chocolate chip pecan cookies (ones that my child-hood friends have fantasies about to this very day*), fruit cake, pineapple angel food cake (made from a boxed angel food cake mix and a can of crushed pineapple – genius), a glass of milk and grapes. Yea the grapes were a little random in the mix of all that sweetness but they were necessary.
The first day, my dad made oatmeal pancakes with blueberries which are always a great treat. Don’t forget the side of bacon. We ended up snacking through the movie Sherlock Holmes and then had pizza at a brick oven place – yum!
The next (and final) day my dad and I made these waffles together. Later that day was their card game party (I’ll explain later) which was full of lovely treats, and one of them I will be sharing with you tomorrow. But for now focus on waffles. Buttermilk waffles in fact, with sprinkles of chopped pecans. Our powers combined to make these and they were without a doubt amazing. Of course I had to have a side of sausage to go along with the pile of whipped cream and strawberries on top! There is no room for cutting back on what you eat when eating with my dad (we are notorious for checking out the dessert menu before picking our entree after all).
*If you are lucky I might be able to share the recipe with you one day. But the recipe makes 12 dozen cookies, so it might be awhile. UPDATE: Recipe posted HERE.
Please excuse me for a moment of shameless promoting, but I am a finalist in the “So You Wanna Be a CakeSpy” contest with my Funfetti Truffle Chocolate Cupcakes! And since I am trailing behind a few others in votes, I think you should help me win a trip to Seattle! There are three ways to vote, all counting as individual votes!
- Like my cupcakes on Facebook (<–click)
- Like my cupcakes on Flickr (<–click)
- Leave a comment on CakeSpy’s post (<–click) saying my cupcakes are your favorite!
One year ago: Spaghetti with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
BUTTERMILK PECAN WAFFLES
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 Tbsp chopped pecans
1/2 pint (1 cup) heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Maple syrup, for serving
Sliced strawberries, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until light. Add buttermilk and mix well. Add dry ingredients and beat until batter is smooth. Stir in butter until incorporated.
- Pour about 3/4 cup batter into a lightly greased preheated waffle iron. Sprinkle with a few pecans. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter and pecans.
- In between waffles, whip the heavy cream until it starts to thicken, add sugar and vanilla, then whip further until it forms stiff peaks – do not overbeat!
- Serve waffles topped with syrup, whipped cream and fresh strawberries!
Source: Adapted slightly from Recipe4Living.com.