Sleep has not come easy for me the past two nights. No matter how exhausted, I lay in bed tossing and turning for most of the night. Last night I thought for sure I’d get decent rest after taking a beating at spin class. No such luck. But at least I still have the energy to cook dinner. Especially when it’s something as tasty as these. I could’ve eaten the entire lot! I should make a huge batch a freeze them as previous bloggers of this recipe have suggested.
Although the recipe called for corn tortillas, I decided to experiment with both corn and flour tortillas. The flour tortillas had a different flavor, but I preferred the corn tortillas – they were more crunchy than the flour ones. Guess that’s why these are taquitos and not flautas (made with flour tortillas).
Served with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing from Our Best Bites.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup salsa verde
Juice from half a lime (1 Tbsp)
1 tsp Ancho chile pepper powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbs chopped scallions
1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Pepperjack cheese
8-12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread a piece of aluminum foil across a baking sheet, and arrange chicken breasts in a single layer in the center. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and season as you wish. Fold the aluminum foil over the chicken breasts, and enclose them to form a “packet.” Bake the chicken (on the baking sheet) 35-45 minutes, or until it is cooked through. Allow to cool, then shred using a fork, pulling against the grain.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and spray another baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese with the salsa, lime juice, cumin, chile powder, cayenne, onion powder, garlic, cilantro, scallions, and 1/4 tsp kosher salt. Fold in the chicken and cheeses. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Working 3 tortillas at a time, stack them on a microwave-safe plate and cover with plastic wrap. Cook 30 seconds, or until tortillas are soft and pliable. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto the lower third of each tortilla, and roll tightly*. Place seam side-down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Spray the taquitos lightly with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the tortillas are crisp and golden-brown. Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and/or Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing.
*Stop here to freeze. Roll up each individually in foil, place in ziplock bag and put in freezer. Cook by following remaining directions. (No thawing necessary.)