What do you get when you combine International Pancake Day with Mardi Gras? King Cake inspired pancakes!
I actually got the idea from Recipe Girl’s Cinnamon Roll Pancakes. The swirl is similar to the stuffing of a King Cake.
I thought about doing the traditional glaze used for King Cakes, but was a little iffy about icing on my pancakes. So why not pump it up a bit with some whipped cream instead? Especially after adding cinnamon, it’s hard to resist! I would’ve eaten that stuff by itself.
1 recipe buttermilk pancakes
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
2 cups heavy cream, cold
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare pancake batter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a small zip baggie and set aside.
- In a chilled medium bowl, beat the cream, powdered sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium-heat. Spray with nonstick spray. Scoop about 3/4 cup batter onto the skillet. Snip the corner of your baggie of filling and squeeze a spiral of the filling onto the top of the pancake. When bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip carefully with a thin spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a baking sheet or platter and keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Top with cinnamon whipped cream, and festive sprinkles.