I am not a believer of skim milk. The blue-ish tinge freaks me out a little, and I love the flavor of milk far too much to water it down. Therefore, I substituted 2% milk in this recipe. It’s still a heck of a lot better for you than using heavy cream so I kept the “guiltless” portion of the title.
Brent seemed a little turned off by the strong smell of garlic coming from the kitchen while it was cooking, but I was in love. However, once it was on his plate he didn’t make any more garlic remarks. I think the was silenced by greatness.
Served over Ronzoni Garden Delight Fettuccine and grilled chicken, with a side of roasted broccoli.
1-12 oz box Ronzoni Garden Delight Fettuccine
2 cups 2% milk
3 oz light cream cheese (I used Neufchatel)
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp light butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- Cook noodles according to package directions; strain and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt. Process until smooth and set aside.
- In a medium-large sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add the milk mixture to the pan. Stir constantly for about 3-4 minutes until the sauce begins to simmer. Keep stirring and let it cook for a few minutes more. It should become thicker.
- Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan until melted and cover the pan immediately.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes prior to using. It will continue to thicken to desired consistency.
Source: Adapted slightly from Nosh N’ Nutrition