From the moment I saw these on Baked Perfection I knew I had to make them. Of course when I showed the picture to others their immediate reaction was to ask when I was going to make these goodies for them. Which brings me to tonight, tripling the batch! It took 9 eggs! My synopsis: I wish that the brownie layer were more dense. I prefer a less cakey brownie (I wonder if the larger batch size affected the consistency), but the flavor was spot on. Also, I would use more cream cheese next time. This desire could be due to the fact that I cannot get enough cream cheese frosting on my red velvet cake. It’s like ice cream!
Maybe next time I will add pecans! I <3 nuts in my brownies, and usually top red velvet cake with pecans so it seems as though it would work wonderfully in these. If you’re feeling extra sinful, top with your favorite cream cheese frosting.
I kept the recipe to make one batch for posting. Hopefully you all know your multiplication tables and can figure it out yourself if you would like to increase your batch size .
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp red food coloring
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup flour
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 by 8-inch baking pan, and set aside.
- For the brownie layer, add melted butter to a large bowl and add the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar, in that order, mixing between additions.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix.
- Fold in the flour until lightly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, saving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.
- For the cream cheese layer, blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan.
- Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer.
- Using a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before cutting.